Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Cheese, Brocolli, and mashed potatoes- what could be better?!

I had some leftover whipped potatoes from STEAK SUNDAY!!! that I wanted to use up.  So, I mixed them with flour and baked them at 400 degrees for quite some time.
I rarely keep track.  I mean, I knew what I wanted them to look like, so I checked them, and flipped them when the tops started to brown.  The bottoms had cooked on the cookie sheet like pancakes.  Just as I wanted. 
They look just like pancakes, but they taste like garlic and cheese biscuits.  Of course, their true taste will be obscured by the amount of cheese sauce in which they were to be smothered.  Serious deliciousness.  These things would also be good with ketchup, I bet.  Next time, I am going to try to fry them in Bacon grease.  I just want to see what happens!  Who knows, maybe they'll be awesome!
Broccoli can be every kids nightmare, but I think it may be one of my favorite vegetables.  The amount of green in it tells me that it just has to be good for me, and it goes so well with cheese.  And potatoes for that matter.  It's so easy to cook, too.  You just turn it on.  It doesn't even matter if you overcook it, it just blends all that much better into the cheese sauce.  Personally, though, I like it undercooked, just slightly, to preserve some of the crunch.  Don't judge.  I think we've got some broccoli in the garden.  One of the first tree runs I ever did was called The Broccoli Garden.  And sometimes, one can even still find some powder there.  It's just not very steep.  It would probably be a good place to get drunk, but nobody ever does.  Someone should set up a BBQ, except that the sun goes away there before it sets everywhere else, so it might be pointless.  Maybe it could be a breakfast spot.
But it must all remain a secret.  Forget I even said anything.  Anyway, like any good meal, there is a sauce to go with it.  This cheese sauce is an alteration of my mother's recipe.  Hint: I added pepper and sour cream.  It just came out so delicious.  It is so versatile, too. It goes with macaroni, broccoli, potatoes, or just a spoon if you're feeling real crazy.  I make something in the crock pot that reminds me a lot of it too, called Cream of Broccoli soup (but that is for another entry altogether).  When it comes down to it, this whole process was an experiment to occupy my mind while I made the next round of kombucha.  My kombucha mother had twins!  We're all so proud.  That means not two but three batches can be produced. 
We'll be in the kombucha business in no time!  Here we have the finished product of three delicious main ingredients, and many many secret ingredients.  I thought this might be too much cheese sauce, but it turned out to be the perfect amount, once the potatoes had sopped up all the excess.  So, I guess this wasn't gluten free due to the flour in the potatoes, but otherwise, it's legit.  It is definitely vegetarian, though it's not vegan.  I don't understand vegans, unless it's doctor's orders.  A world without cheese is no world at all, at least not one that I'd want to live in.  Listen, we're only here for  a short amount of time.  While that doesn't mean that we should all go start acting like douchebags, or worse, Teabaggers, it does mean that some simple pleasures should be had, and I am talking about cheese here.  Cheese wins again.

No comments:

Post a Comment